From:
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 13:19:00 -0800
>From:    "Gustafson, Barb" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: AVAR

That is the core "animal rights argument you reposted for Teri...

>Teri replied........
>>***** The domestication of animals as 'pets' and 'food' or other human
>>uses has contributed to a great deal of suffering and death for millions
>>of these animals, including cattle, pigs, chickens, fish, horses, cats,
>>and dogs (to name a few).
>
>Can we as humans deny this statement?

No.  But we can in full honesty debate its importance.  If there were no
humans than there would be no human suffering - should we propose total
eradication of our OWN species?  If you think so, then there is no rational
debate possible.  If their were no living creatures there would be no
suffering at all so should we let ALL species die to eliminate all
suffering?  There is no other way to eliminate ALL suffering.

>*I* personally agree that ferrets, or any other domestic pet for that
>matter, should not be mass produced.

I believe ferrets should be reproduced.  Your statement is not the same
as Teri's.  She and the AVAR by their name choice) believe in NO animal
breeding.

>the problem lies not in the fact that they exist but in the way the
>laws in our society view them....AS PROPERTY.  That is what needs to
>change in my opinion.

Again a pure animal rights position.  There is no other reasonable way
to look at ferrets.  They can not be granted freedom for they can not
be self sufficient.  They have to belong to somebody else anybody could
walk up and take your ferret.  Sorry ferrets are and will have to remain
possessions.  This is our opinion that looks at more details we believe
than you considered.

>This is oh so true....and we are all aware of how ridiculously inadequate
>the courts are at dealing with animal abuse issues.

This of course has nothing to do with whether ferrets are posessoions or
not.  The use and ownership of possessions can be regulated.  Breaking
those regulations can result in criminal penalties.  Animal welfare is
about stopping the abuse of animals but does not try to destroy domestic
animals (as a whole not individually) the way animal rights does.

>Just think what would happen if every cow, horse, pig, chicken, hamster,
>dog, cat, ferret and so on and so on were to be liberated from their
>human *caretakers*.

But who is the caretaker if their is no owner?

You are disagreeing with Teri's statement by not understanding it.  The
A/R argument is that you do not release the animals.  They cease to exist
by not allowing anymore reproduction.  Once the living ferrets (and other
animals) die from natural causes there will be no more.

>I get the feeling that AVAR does sincerely care for the welfare of
>companion animals, ferrets included

We strongly disagree.  To us, AVAR (as all A/R groups) are so insane with
hatred of humans that they think it is good to hurt the human race by
eliminating the animals we have domesticated.  Its not a pro-animal stance
but a misanthropic hatred.  It is an ultimate ego trip that they think they
have the answer for all evils and that all others are wrong.  They do not
believe that folks like us love our animals because we allow our ferrets to
reproduce.  Such an unseemly arrogance on their part!

By taking the name AVAR they put themselves in with other that believe in
the basic tenets of the animal rights movement which is indeed this hatred
disguised as care for something else.  They glom onto the animals only to
express their hatred for mankind.

b&d
--
bill and diane killian