From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 14:44:50 -0500
Just a few of the problems with the rapid dismissals are:
1. totally missed alternatives such as the viral trigger hypothesis
favored as a decent hypothesis (but not a fact) by some research vets
for adrenal neoplasias,

2. forgetting that cure-alls historically do not pan out,

3. ignoring the fact that for some things it is thought that components
may act additively or multiplicatively.  For example, it is thought that
it may be that a combination of early altering combined with another
factor(s) might influence adrenal neoplasia rates (Note the qualifier
since we are all discussing merely hypotheses rather than proven facts,
though hypotheses are important.).

Here's an example: In relation to that postulated century of barns with
lots of ferrets and without true darkness that Bob mentioned, never
forget that such conditions were and still are rare.  For one thing the
animals in such conditions were and are breeders, i.e. they have working
gonads so that alone prevents generalizing from them to neutered ferrets.
For another, the typical breeders found in the fur industry, research
supply industry and pet industry -- are younger than most ferrets are
at the on-set of most of the common ferret health problems.  After peak
breeding years most of such large places adopt out the ferrets, give them
to shelters with donations to accompany them (a type of program which
began years back in some places due to the efforts of several FML
members), donate them to veterinary school programs to teach veterinary
students how to sterilize ferrets, etc.  After these peak years is also
when the most common ferret illnesses start, but if the places don't have
many animals of those ages... Can you count on one hand the number of
such large farms which have released disease rates or details?  Okay,
can you count on one finger the number of such large farms which have
released disease rates or details?  So, what makes anyone think that
some of these problems may not have existed in the individuals there?

Anyone ever note that green and blue lights are especially bad for the
body's natural melatonin production and that the green lights that are so
omnipresent on electrical electrical equipment and night lights arrived
about 12 to 15 years ago?

There is more but this is just getting to be a frustrating waste of my
time.  Sorry to be blunt.  I like the discussion of hypotheses, but to
dismiss alternative hypotheses out of hand or to claim to have an actual
answer is potentially dangerous for those few who panic or who try things
without first checking with their ferret health care experts: the vets.

Besides, I think that most folks are responsible and therefore instead of
just trying things that might have negative health consequences I think
that most folks here DO discuss such alternative FIRST with their vets
and some even copy such discussions to their vets.  Then they try them
IF the vet says it's okay, or they try modifications which the vet may
suggest, or they wait to see what happens with many others and what is
reported in the veterinary journals if their vets feel that is safest.
Therefore, since I see no reason to underestimate the logic of most FHL
members I see no reason to go into details which so many of us know
already such as the details above.  I just don't have the time for this.