Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 08:12:41 -0700
Dooks All ~!~!

I would like to take a moment to inform you of what the Pacific Ferret
Shelter Network is doing to help promote a SAIFE Pacific Northwest Ferret
Show.  And, no, I'm not mis-spelling.  SAIFE is my new acronym for SECURE
AND INFECTIOUS FREE ENVIRONMENT.  (See what happens when you work with
guvmint types?  They get you talking in code).

We all know that, whenever there is a large gathering, there is the
possibility of spread of virus.  There are certain precautions that can
be taken to minimize the risk of exposure to our ferrets.

What the AFA expects can be found at thier website - www.FERRET.net

What WE expect of participants:
1. Keep ferrets under your control at all times.  They should be in a
cage or carrier.  Do not walk around with your ferret on a leash or in
your arms.  This is a CARRIER SHOW (by AFA Standards).  Ferrets brought
to the judging areas MUST be in carriers.

2. Do not handle others ferrets, do not let other people handle yours.
If you are handling other animals, please use hand sanitizer before and
after handling.

3. Keep up-to-date on vaccines.  Some diseases can be contracted by
walking in a grassy park or handling other animals at the pet store.

4. If you observe an 'accident', please stay there and ask someone to
get paper towels and parvocide to clean it.  Please don't leave it
unattended where someone else can come in contact with it.

5. If your concerned about the 'kids next store', make a tent for your
cage.  This is as easy as cutting a piece of cardboard 2" larger than
your cage on all sides.  Punch holes in it and 'zip-tie' it to the cage
top.  Drape fabric (blanket, curtain, etc) over it to create a barrier on
the sides and back.  You can even make the fabric large enough to cover
the front of your cage to give the kids a safe siesta between judgings.

6. If you have any concerns, please bring them to the attention of a
show representative or the announcer.

7. If a representative of the show brings something to your attention,
please comply with thier request.  Please do not be offended or take it
personally.

8. If your ferret (or one of his playmates) is ill, please do not bring
them to the show.  Likewise if YOU are ill and are suffering flu like
symptoms.

Forfeiting your entry fee, or not winning a ribbon, is a small price to
pay to prevent the possibility of getting others ill.

Honesty, integrity, consideration, and personal responsibility are
important factors.  Be honest enough to test all your ferrets for ADV.
Have integrity not to cheat the results.  Be considerate enough not to
put other ferrets at risk.

Some steps the PFSN is taking to prevent the transmission of diseases:
1. Animals not entered in the show will NOT be permitted in the main
area.

2. Vet Check area - located in the lobby.  Vets will check general
health of ferret, check paperwork, check litter boxes and carrier.  Vet
and assistant will be provided with parvocide, plastic aprons, paper
towels and gloves.

3. Judging areas will have plastic aprons, parvocide, gloves, paper
towels and trash bins.

4. Tables will be covered with plastic tablecloths.

5. Attendants will be available to clean any messes.  They will have
paper towels, plastic bags, and parvocide with them
(wet spill clean up on aisle 7, please!)

6.  Parvocide, paper towels, trash bags will be available throughout the
hall.

Show representatives will have ID Badges and the yellow Pacific Northwest
Ferret Show T shirt on.  I will be the announcer for a majority of the
show.  Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or needs
(or even just to chat, I may get lonely).

Policies / Rules / Safeguards are put in place for a reason and should be
adhered to.  We hope to maintain a SAIFE, enjoyable event for everyone
there.

Kevin B & The Way Kewl Kritter Crew    [log in to unmask]
Pacific Ferret Shelter Network VP http://www.FERRETNET.ORG
Oregon Ferret Shelter volunteer http://www.OregonFerretShelter.com