From:
"Sheri M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 1997 15:05:18 -0600
Mostly to Jim . . .

I've used the bitter apple method to prevent digging, and it worked quite
well.  Both my males hate the stuff.  A female I used to have, on the other
hand, was guarenteed to chew ANYTHING I sprayed with bitter apple <g> . . .
that one also defied EVERY generality made by Fox and Chuck Morton in their
ferret book.

I have a dark-eyed white male--the first one I'd ever seen.  The odd think
is that the previous owners gave him to me for free.  My SO and I had been
thinking of buying a ferret, and decided no to ask for that kind of trouble
<g> again when we were notified of a small masked Bandit hiding in a
brother-in-law's engine.  We babysat for a few days and then found the
owners.  After that we were really discussion getting another one, because
the dog was in heaven to have a ferret to play with.  Two months later,
Bandit's owners split up and somehow decided they could each only keep 1
(of 3) and to give Pepper away.  They called us first.   Amazing.  Free
ferret on our doorstep.  And very few behavior problems.  I expected a nasy
temperament, so I was doubly amazed to find a cuddler.

Runt of the litter????  Hmm . . . Pepper was a few months old (at least)
when I got him, and he's a hefty 4 pounder!  I can't imagine him ever having
been the runt of the litter!  I used to describe him as BEW . . .  but as
Bill Killian said, eventually I noticed that his eyes are a very, very dark
ruby, not true black.  Sometimes they seem black, but when the lights are
right I can see a reddish tint to them.

About de-clawing . . . I called my vet about this because I rent and Pepper
was ruining the carpet in some places--de-clawing seemed to be an ideal
solution.

Well, my vet told me that ferret's claws are more like those of dogs than
cats, and that they can't walk properly without them.  And he refused to
perform such an operation.  I trust my vet.  Not only is he really good with
ferrets, but he genuinely likes them.  So I decided to try other methods --
disposable rugs by the doors, bitter apple, etc.  And I don't plan to move
until we buy a house, so I'm resigned to giving up my deposit.  Though my
landlord is pretty cool and the carpet was ratty to begin with.  You can
always try other things first--plastic runners, carpet samples, bitter
apple, a spray bottle filled with cold water (that works for one of mine,
but not the other) . . .  as for the couch--how about nailing plywood to
the bottom?  Our current couch is completely "de-foamed" but that'll be the
first thing we do when we get a new one!  Amazing enough, they've left the
matching chair alone!

Someone here (fml) who have declawed ferrets and say it doesn't seem to hurt
them at all.

So perhaps it's more individual opinion than anything.  Or perhaps it's even
more due to the vet who performs the operation.

TO EVERYONE: Please don't be so terribly quick to attack, either through the
list or through private mail.  Jim mentioned de-clawing in passing, and
hadn't talked to a vet about it yet, and so did not have the resources to
make an informed decision on this issue .  .  .  and I'm certain was NOT
looking to get flamed or start any kind of nasty thread.  It's wonderful of
everyone to share their opinions, experiences, and the facts as they know
them, and personal solutions--but please do your best to be civil.  Some of
us here just aren't as experienced as others (I know shelter people have
seen atrocities that make me shed tears) and we ask questions precisely
because we DON'T KNOW the answer--not because we're looking to get bombed
and flamed.  This list is usually a terrific resource and a great place to
be--let's keep it that way and not frighten new-comers away with abusive

--Sheri