From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 11:24:55 EDT
Re: Simple Green
Agree with everybody else's endorsement of the stuff!  It cleans really well
(everything except glass), a bottle of the stuff lasts a long time, and it's
non-toxic.  What more could you want? :)  Our ferrets take a big interest in
any of our cleaning endeavors.....I guess it's only a matter of time before
we have a bucket diver as well as well as a vacuum cleaner rider!

Re: Ferrets & Grains & Fruits, oh my
>a bad thing!  However, ferrets probably use plant proteins in the same way
>that cats do - in its half-digested, thanks-to-the-grain-eating-mouse kinda
>way.  Am I totally off-base?  I give my ferrets processed fruits and veggies

I would assume most carnivores get their "veggies" this way.  I saw a
falconer once who said that the hawks and falcons would get the benefits of
vegetable-matter by eating things like rabbits which included the rabbit's
innards.  She would give her hawks a concotion of raw meat stuffed with bits
of spinach and so on to simulate the "veggies" wild birds would get
vicariously.  While raptors are quite a bit different then our fuzzle-heads,
I think the same general principle would apply.

Re: New Ferret Q's
>...I was told by my friends and have also read in a few books that ferrets
>only require 3 distemperment vaccinations: one at 8 months, one at 11
>months, and one at 14 months.  Which is true?  Are they both?  I'm confused
>on this.

Distemper is 100% fatal in ferrets.  Our's get yearly distemper
vaccinations.  Distemper can be carried on your clothing back indoors to
your fuzzies.  I don't think the risk of not vaccinating outweighs the
minimal cost or the slight risk from vaccination reaction.  Yearly is
generally the recommended distemper vaccination schedule for ferrets after
the series of 3 shots they get as kits.

Re: 7th Heaven, Ferrets, and a Protest
>projected across national television.  Because of this I am asking anyone
>out there to get a hold of Warner Bros.  network or 7th Heaven and complain
>about this horrible distortion of fact.

I didn't see the episode of 7th Heaven in question, but from what other
posters have had to say, it seemed like ferrets were for the most part
portrayed pretty positively.  I'll take some distortion of fact from 7th
Heaven, The Beastmaster, and Kindergarten Cop as long as the portrayal of
ferrets is mostly a positive one.  I think people should realize that these
creatures are fun-loving, theiving furballs not the vicious baby-killing
beasts that some say they are.  Once folks realize that ferrets aren't akin
to the anti-christ, maybe they'll actually care that ferrets aren't part of
the rodent family.

While everybody is welcome to their own opinion and they can do as they
like, I think that the call for letters to be written to WB complaining
about 7th Heaven is a bit uncalled for.  You may wish to write them pointing
out that some of their facts were off, but thank them for a relatively
positive portrayal of ferrets!!  ;)

-kim, squirt (SPRING! DOOK! SPRING!), pippi (already back down to her
 slim and trim summer weight), atlas (starting to shed his winter coat),
 and 'Jinx (who is blowing her coat)

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]    |<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.