From:
Julie Thornton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 1997 12:05:56 -0800
Hi everyone!

With all the bad stuff we read about, and all the tears we shed for ferrets
and their caregivers it is always nice to know there are good things
happening in the world.  I'd like to share a recent joy I've had here in
Kansas.

I got a call last week from a woman who was distraught because the ferret
she'd adopted for her 13 year old daughter was biting agressively when
handled.  She said she'd like to trade this one for another, more friendly
ferret if we had one in the shelter.  The family knew others with friendly
ferrets, and they were disappointed that this one was not.

I offerred to go to their home and evaluate the behavior of this particular
ferret.  They were enthusiastic about my response, and were clearly caring
about the long term care of the frightening fuzzy they'd adopted, but just
didn't know what to think or do.

In my visit, I quickly established that the ferret is nearly, if not
completely deaf.  She was very agressively viscious when handled by humans
*except* when there was a soft towel between her and the hands!

After some handling, I talked with the family members, and they are willing
to rehab her in their home!!!  Please keep them in your prayers, and little
May as well.  She is a beautiful Champaigne, and I'm certain that with the
concern of her family and lots of prayers, she'll become the loving fuzzy
her caregivers had hoped for.

This small step is such a positive story I had to share it with you all!

All the best -

Julie
Kansas Ferret Assn