From:
Todd & Andi Lockhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 1995 11:23:39 -0400
Hi!

A while ago someone posted very helpful helpful information about how to
tell the approximate age of a ferret by the condition of its teeth. It
works well for older ferrets, but I was wondering if perhaps someone who
breeds could help me out with younger ferrets.

We don't know how old Pickles was when we got her - but we do know that she
only had her milk teeth for the first 2 weeks. Any ideas? The shop told us
she was 8 weeks, but just looking at her I could tell she was probably
younger & the vet also believed she was much younger.

We also now have a "little" boy of unknown age. He looks and moves like a
baby - but he is as big as 9 month old (& hefty) Pickles. His teeth are
tiny, just pokeing through in places, but they are obviously adult teeth.
He also has spaces where there is just gum showing - no teeth. The store
said they believed he was 4 months - but the woman addmited she was
clueless about ferrets. His head is as big as everybody elses, but his
legs,body & tail are really short and stubby. He's also got *huge* feet -
maybe he's just going to be a really big boy?

Are there any other ways to estimate the age of little ones?

Thanks in Advance!
Andi