From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 09:02:58 EDT
I responded to the post about a hypothetical ferret shelter operator
buying shoes with a donation, and it got me thinking.  Most shelter
operators pay for a lot of the supplies out of their own pockets, most
items not in the food/litter/treats/toys category are generally paid for
out of pocket.  These items can be as costly as the food/litter, and
aren't always donated as often.  So I decided to make a list of items
that you could donate to your local shelter that would help take a load
off the budget.  Some of these are obvious, others not as.  It might be a
good idea to ask the shelter operator which brands they like/use before
purchasing the items, and not all of these items would be needed by all
shelters.  Some of these items are inexpensive, and if four or five
people each dropped off just one smaller item to their local shelter once
a week, it would make a world of difference!  And while you're there,
spend ten minutes to scoop a couple pans or clip the nails on even one
ferret! :)

Laundry soap
Paper towels
Garbage bags
Work gloves
Bungee cords
Cleansers
Scrubbies
Mop/Broom/Swiffer
A Dustbuster with extra filters
A HEPA unit, or filters for the one they already have
Large garbage can
Clamps
Cage card holders and index cards
A copy of "Essentials if Ferrets, A Guide for Practitioners" which ALL
shelters should have in their library
Rubbermaid "type" bins
Postage Stamps
Envelopes
Ink jet cartridges
Copy/printer paper
A postage scale that weighs in lbs/oz and grams up to ten pounds
A Snuggle Safe heat rock [We were given one of these during the NJ
  Christmas Rescue, and it truly SAVED THE LIFE of a ferret who had a
  difficult time recovering after a rough surgery.  It saved other
  ferrets after as well.  I still remember who gave it to us, and still
  thank her from the bottom of my heart.  I think she reads this list
  and knows who she is :) ]
A small microwave
A small hand mixer
A stethescope
A package of Sharpie brand markers
Shower curtain clips
Wet/Dry ShopVac
A color printer
Clorox wipes
Phone card
Squares of linoleum tile
Pillow cases from the dollar bin at your local discount retailer

I'm sure there are a ton of other things that your local shelter could
use, next time you're there, look around and see what they are using that
you could bring.  Or be creative and think about what might make their
life easier.  Before making a large purchase, be sure to consult with the
shelter about it.

Thanks in advance for supporting your local shelter!

Anne