From:
Lynn McIntosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 19:45:01 +0000
>>From:    Lynn McIntosh <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Inoperable Right Tumor; Debulking the Right
>>It sounds to me that any "right adrenalectomy" is really a
>>"de-bulking".
>
>I re-confirmed with my vet today - he totally removed Gina's right
>gland, not debulked it.

Hi there.  Thank you for writing.

Well, the one thing you can't do with this disease is generalize. :)  Dr.
Kawasaki did say that the right adrenal could be totally removed if the
vena cava were ligated (and he said, because of the odds of survival he's
heard about, he prefers not to do this).  He said that even if he gets
almost all the right adrenal, there's just a little tissue left, because of
the proximity to the vena cava.  So, based on what the very experienced and
respected (to my knowledge) Dr. Kawasaki told me, whether or not, or how
often, the right adrenal is fully removed without ligating the vena cava
would perhaps be an interesting question to pose to a group of
ferret-experienced vet surgeons.

>>...prednisone following a bi-adrenalectomy, then starts cutting
>>back the dose until, I believe it was four to six weeks <snip>
>>the fuzzy is weaned off.
>
>A friend's bi-lateral fert is still on pred & flurineph (sp?) daily
>doses since surgery last summer, and for the rest of Baby's life.
>Doing hunky-fine.  Same vet for both Gina & Baby.

As I understand it, this is the standard combo.  To extrapolate from how
Dr. Kawasaki is treating, perhaps the combo isn't necessary.  At least he,
and another vet who told him about successfully weaning off prednisone
following bi-adrenalectomies, are apparently having success without it.
But, with adrenal disease, I'm a firm believer of following what is
working.

As for vena cava ligations, I want to say that my opinion that I would
choose this route only with an inoperable tumor where chemical therapy
wasn't an option, and the fuzzy's life was in jeopardy anyway (say from an
enlarged prostate), is only my opinion, and the opinion I'm following of
my vets.  There are respected ferret-experienced ferret vets doing this
procedure, and some lucky fuzzies surviving sans their adrenal tumors, which
is great.  I just don't like the odds of survival I've read about, but I
would never put anyone down who followed this route.  Adrenal disease is a
real toughy, and we have to proceed with what info we have, the bias and
experience of our good vets, and the symptoms of each, individual fuzzy.

Lynn McIntosh and her seven leapin' lizards