From:
"Aileen N." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 06:21:36 -0800
Dr. Kemmerer, I just wanted to comment here to you and the rest of the
FML.  I completely understand your comments.  The vet is just trying to
protect himself/herself.  It's a situation where you have to be very
careful, indeed.

However, my problem is not my vet.  It's my vet's office.  It is the desk
staff that are terrribly unhelpful.  Like I said, I sat on hold for 13
minutes.  A desk attendant answered the phone.  I say, "Can I speak with
a vet or a technician?" and explain my problem.  The desk attendant, who
apparently only has one brain cell in her head then says "Well, I can't
get anyone to talk to you right now.  Just bring the dog in and we'll have
a look.  Oh, we don't have any appointments available, so you'll have to
bring her in as an emergency." Which, of course, triples the cost of the
office visit.  And also makes me panic - is my dog gonna die in the next
three hours if I don't rush her in?

If I had spoken to a vet or a tech that said "Well, could be a UTI or some
other sort of infection.  You should probably bring her in," I wouldn't
have been so mad.

This is the same vet's office that, when my ferret Toby was having a
severe reaction to his distemper shot back in October, vomitting and
shaking in the waiting room, the desk attendant proceeded to ask me a
dozen questions like "Has he been treated here before?" "When did he get
his shots?" "Who is the treating vet?" when she should have called for a
tech right away to take Toby back and start treatment.

In short, I don't want some part-time desk clerk that has no interest in
her job or the patients to control the treatment of my pets.

When I finally got ahold of the vet's office that spayed the dog, the
person that answered the phone asked detailed questions then put me on
hold to speak with a vet.  She came back with a few more questions then
went back to the vet again.  The final verdict was UTI and she suggested I
take Camille to the vet in the next day or two.  I felt like I was taken
care of much better in that instance.  I felt like they cared and were
really trying to help.

Gosh, I'm sorry if I offended any vets or anything.  I really respect your
profession.  I wanted to be a vet until just before college graduation.  I
went on an interview to be a vet tech.  They had me sit in on a spaying,
and I passed out.  :-)

Finally, the good news - Camille went to a new vet, who was absolutely
wonderful with her, she has a urinary tract infection and is now on
Clavamox.

Thanks for everyone's help.

=====
Aileen & the Herd
Welcome to our newest addition: Camille, the beagle!
The Ferrets: Kyle, Noel, & Toby
The Dogs: Rootie the beagle & Tank the GSD/basset
Still missing Sandy, Gizmo, & Slinky. We love you.

Check out the Herd's website at: http://www.geocities.com/anippy