From:
Pat Ball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 1994 07:02:49 -0500
Hi, everybody.

I've got a big problem.  Princess developed mastitis yesterday.  I
noticed it last night.  It was not obvious in the morning, however, late
yesterday afternoon, I noticed that she seemed to be totally drained and
later in the evening I noticed around one of her nipples she was getting
pretty swollen, about an hour later the area turned real dark with red
around the perimeter of the swelling.  I immediately took her babies from
her and started her on amoxi, 30 ml.  Her babies (8 of them) are not
quite three weeks old.  They will be three weeks on Sunday.

Question #1:  Am I giving Princess enough Amoxi?  30 ml. twice a day.
Question #2:  What else should I be doing for her?

We took her babies over to a friends house because both my husband and I
work.  She is going to bottle feed them for us.  She is giving them
kitten milk mixed with gatorade to prevent diarhea (spelling?).  She has
a mom, but that mom already has her six babies and five babies from
another mom, so she is really already overloaded.

Question #1:  Is the kitten milk enough for right now?
Question #2:  Are we at risk of losing the babies?
Question #3:  Is there anything else that we should be doing for the
babies?
Question #4:  Is there a risk of any of the babies getting sick due to
nursing on mom while mom was getting sick?

In a nutshell----HELP!

Thanks for you immediately attention to my questions.  I am really
worried about the babies and Princess.  Any help and advise is greatly
appreciated.

Pat and kids.