From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 18:48:31 -0700
>What your problem may be is you method of disciplining - nose thumping.
>At our shelter, we've found that the absolute worst biters were disciplined
>that way.

Several months ago, my good friend told me that I should try the method Dick
described (which is also the method my friend uses) to deal with my biting
ferret.  I was amazed.  In less than two weeks, my biting ferret became Miss
Lovable.  She has not tried to bite me since she learned to trust me.

I've been owned by ferrets for ten years and have had 22 in my life
altogether.  I've always been told to thump the nose and shout at a biting
ferret.  I'm here to tell you - DON'T THUMP AND DON'T SHOUT!  Dick is very
right: All they need is patience, love and understanding.

Here's my friend's touching story:

Since 1988 we have been taking in unwanted, neglected, abused, and sick
ferrets.  To this day there have been a total of 54 who have lived or are
living out their lives with us.  They run free in our big house, with much
love and attention, and all the medical care they need.  Many of them were
biters when they arrived here.  Poor Dusty has the crooked nose that tells
the story of how he most likely was disciplined.  It breaks my heart.

In April I received two 4 year old sprites who had been bred and raised at
a local shelter and had lived their entire lives in a small cage there.  By
this time they were terrible biters - Simone' especially - and given up as
"non-adoptable." Simone' had a reputation of turning her care-takers' hands
to hamburger.  I have always used the same methods of gaining trust as you
describe.  In one week's time, the sable, CJ, was absolutely sweet and
gentle.  She is *so* happy, and she *bounces* straight up and down as if on
springs!  She has not bitten a single person since then - *not even bare
feet,* and in fact, she *loves* people.  Isn't it amazing!?

But it was three weeks before I could pick up Simone' without getting
bitten.  I can clean her ears and bathe her, and though she is fearful of
the bath, she will not attempt to bite me.  She allows me to roll her over
and gently "wrestle" with her in play.  She looks for me and follows me
around.  But even now, if she becomes irritated for any reason, wants a
treat, wants to be put down, doesn't feel like playing, etc., she will put
her teeth on me, sometimes gently, sometimes hard - yet she controls
herself enough that she will no longer pierce the skin.

She is at that point where she knows better and knows I won't hurt her, so
I tell her firmly, but not too loudly, "No teeth!" and she is obedient.
She will take her teeth off me and turn her head away.  I have also found
that by immediately praising in a higher pitched, happy tone, it reinforces
their "good deed," and encourages and relaxes them.  She always gets "happy
praises" as soon as she responds to my reprimand.  To me she is incredible
and wonderful.  Her particular personality traits cause her to be every bit
as endearing as all the rest of our ferrets.

We have 25 right now.  Four of them we rescued in 1992 and are now 9 and 10
years old.  Our lives revolve around these guys, and though some may think
me strange, I'm not too proud to admit that, even though living with them is
sometimes exhausting and sometimes heartbreaking, one of the most rewarding
things in my life is to see a previously abused and fearful ferret run happy
and free, playing and dancing, and making me happy on my saddest days.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and insight with all those who
read the FML.

[FW]