From:
The Ferretously Funky One <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 03:46:20 -0400
Since I am not the only FMLer who received a response from Dr. Steele,
something tells me his letter is already in this issue somewhere :)

However, let me voice my disappointment about his adherence to folk tales
when solid scientific evidence about the ferret's propensity to bite and
details concerning rabies transmission are not present.

He states that, "The purpose of my letter is not to bash ferrets.  They,
like all other pets, can be lovable, fun creatures.  However, I think we can
all agree that the safety of children is more important than the reputation
of the ferret."

So until the popular myths are no longer accepted it is more prudent to live
in fear and ignorance than search for the truth?  No one, at any age, should
EVER be left alone with ANY animal that he or she cannot control.  Period.

And rabies?  Well, that's a genuine concern... I dont belive most pet
ferrets have much of a chance of being exposed and from what Ive heard here,
little chance of contracting the disease in any case.

He also states that, "There is anecdotal information that the propensity to
be aggressive and bite varies with the family line of the ferret."

Huh?  ..  The propensity to be aggressive and bite varies more with the
treatment of the ferret by its caretakers - as in dogs, cats, parrots, etc.

It bugs me that people who want the best for their kids may decide against
getting a ferret after coming across a letter like his original post at
Parentsplace.  What a shame.

Ah well, we tried.  Dunno if he will take the time to read my response to
his letter but I told him next time he oughtta tell his readers to do a
search for 'ferret' on the internet or come join the FML if they want some
REAL anecdotal evidence about ferret behavior.

Time to go see if my sleepy "children" are safely tucked into their bankee
underneath the dresser.  :)

Melissa A. Durfee

P.S. If his response letter (which was cc'ed to everyone who wrote him
about his original post at Parentsplace) has not been posted I'll forward a
copy to anyone interested.