From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 1995 17:03:57 -0400
Dear FMLers,

Below is the response I received from Paul G. Irwin, President of the HSUS.
Anyone for a game of ping-pong?  You can bet I won't let this one sit for
long...

=====================================

Dear Ms. Grant:

I am sorry you are offended by the letter you received from me.  As
unbelievable as it may seem, the matter of ferrets is as issue which is
programmatically handled by our Companion Animal section.  The HSUS is
presently dealing with, quite literally, several hundred issues.  I have
designated responsible staff to deal with these issues and to be
spokespersons.  Therefore, if you wish information regarding this Society's
position on ferrets you will receive it from the Companion Animal section.

I, in fact, value the work of you and many people in this country who are
interested in, have as companion animals, and love ferrets.  I sincerely
wish you well in your work.  If The HSUS is to provide an interface
regarding ferrets, it will be provided through the Companion Animal section
and not through me.

Sincerely,
Paul G. Irwin
President

CC: R. Lamb

==================================

Is this passing the buck or what????

Here are some ditties taken from the July/August issue of Animal People

OBSCENE SALARIES
Recent artilces in Animal People and Vegetarian Times revealed outrageous
saleries and perks at HSUS and other groups collecting funds to help animals.
Boards of Directors should be made accountable for this greed.  Suggestions
welcome.  Send SASE for networking and action.
Obscene Salary Watch
PO Box 168, Gualala, CA 95445

and

HSUS vice president for investigations David Wills sued for alleged bad
debts.  (request article from Animal People)