From:
Paul Ogles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 1997 06:21:22 -0400
Hi, All,
10 million Ferts in the US, and only 100,000/year are from MF?  I find these
numbers hard to believe.

I understand that both total ferret population and MF's annual production
numbers are guesstimates, but what are they based upon?  My impression has
been that MF produces most of the pet ferrets in the country- in Florida,
about 1/2 the 'fosterlings' I've been called about have tattoos.  If that is
true, and 100K is about their annual output, I'd guess the total US ferret
population at under 1 million.  Also, I hate to mention it, but most pet
shop ferrets probably don't live into middle age.

(Let's see, most of the 3000 on the FML appear to have several ferrets.  The
way these numbers are adding up, I'm starting to think everyone w/ a ferret
also has a computer.  More signs of the F.L.O.  influence?  8^) )

What really catches my attention here is that we may have a much greater
number of small breeders around than I had realized.  If most of the pet
ferrets in the country are from the 'Zen's' and 'Wherret's' rather than MF,
Petersen and Paith Valley we ought to be able to learn more about genetics
and family health histories by talking to each other than by passing the
buck back to MF.

     Personally, I've only been breeding for 5 years and I may have been
lucky in my original stock, but I've never knowingly had a case of cancer.
 The one time I suspected it the fert tested negative, and eventually died of
unknown causes.  I'd be happy to share my records w/ other breeders, tho
listing every ferret I've lost, etc., is probably not something to feed thru
the list.

What are the health statistics like in your ferretry?
Paul
P.S.  I'll be off line from 7/7-7/17, in Greece, mostly.  Any breeders I
should visit in London, or the Med?