From:
Robynn McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:18:23 -0400
Reading Regina's tips reminded me that I have found a couple of really good
ways to save the carpet too, and I figured I should share them.  The only
place my ferrets don't use the box is in front of the door to their room.
Since it's a corner that the door opens into, I can't put a box there, it
just doesn't work.  The carpet in our townhouse is nearly white (and was
brand new when we moved in at the beginning of the year) and since we rent
I've been extremely paranoid about keeping it that way.

My good friend Pam gave me the rest of a roll of sticky plastic carpet
protector to try, and it works fabulously!  I buy the stuff at Lowe's here
but I'm sure Home Depot et al would also have it.  It's a big wrapping
paper sized roll of plastic film that has adhesive on one side, that is
made for putting down on your carpet to protect it if you're going to
paint, or have a party etc.  I cover the area in front of the door, and
slightly under it with the plastic, and make sure that it goes up over the
baseboard and high in the corner to keep any "presents", especially of the
urine variety from leaking over the edge into the carpet.

It's very easy to clean the poopies up off of the plastic, and you can wipe
it down with a damp rag to disinfect the plastic too.  Thus, it can stay
there as long as it's clean.  I change mine out as needed, usually every
three weeks.  It doesn't harm the carpet underneath or leave an adhesive
film.  I think it's pretty great stuff!  It's also clear, so it's not too
scary looking.

The other thing is, when there is a spot on the carpet somewhere (like when
I ferret sit and the visitors decide to make their own spot) there is a
great product called Nature's Miracle, that I get at PetsMart.  It's all
natural, made with enzymes that eat the waste that causes the stain and
turn it into liquid, which you then blot up.  I found a urine stain that I
figured had to have been there at least a week, dried in.  And it came
right up with the Nature's Miracle.  Since it's designed for pet stains,
it's completely safe, non-toxic and all that good stuff.

Hope this helps someone with any poopie related problems.

Robynn and the Fecal Factory Foursome (eew, that's just gross...)

PS I too always inspect poopies when I clean them up, and am proud to say
that I can pretty much tell which poopie belongs to whom when I look at it.
I think maybe I need a new hobby.