Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 21:23:22 -0600
Dear FML Family,

Our home insurance was canceled :( because the underwriter for our insurance
company said our ferret (we didn't tell him we had 20 ;) ) was to big a risk
insurance wise.  It is the American Family Insurance Company.  If you
currently are using American Family Insurance you are using an insurance
company that does not support your choice of pets.  I, of course, will have
to switch to a ferret friendly insurance but I also will not spend my $$$
with them insuring anything else such as cars, etc.  They have lost my
business until they bring themselves up to the 20th Century (almost the 21st
Century now!).  I sent the bite information from Ferret Central to make my
point that ferrets are less dangerous than cats and dogs and it apparently
fell on no one who cared, as the underwriter's opinion was unchanged.  I did
ask my agent, who was very nice and does not agree with the underwriter, to
let his headquarters know that they may be losing a lot of business from
ferret owners, as we do have the 3rd most popular pet.  I also let them know
that I would be letting other ferret owners on the Internet know that they
could not get home insurance from American Family Insurance Company because
they own a ferret.  Just a warning to those who may be insured by this
Insurance company.

Vicky