From:
Vanessa Herzog <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 07:08:37 -0600
Hi all!
Well, this may be redundant-I've heard quite a few stories about reactions
to vaccines, many worse than what happened today, but they didn't seem
real-Squirt throwing up, and going limp, and weak-well, it just seemed
more tangible!

The worst part is, I should have known better-forewarned is forearmed,
right??

He's never reacted before, so why bother pretreating with Benadryl?  And,
well it seemed easier at the time to get rabies and distemper done all at
once-save ya a trip, right?  WRONG!!!!!!

We went to the vet, my 2 happy, healthy babies (Kita got her shots while
she was still a ward of the Alberta Ferret Society, so she didn't get
needles today).  Squirt ran out the door on his dr, then bit her, dooking
and jumping all the while.  Didn't even want to hold still for Nutrical.
Needles done, I jinxed myself by telling the vet "I'll just wait a while-
just in case" 15 min later, he's jumping and happy, and the vet felt it was
safe to go home.  25 mins later, at my boyfriend's house, I brought the
kennel in, "just to check".  5 mins later, Squirt had thrown up all over
his blankie, AND my boyfriend's parents' carpet!  Phone the vet-bring him
in now!  25 mins becomes about 15 at 140km on a highway with a limit of
100!  Wonder what a police officer would have thought if I'd been stopped!

2 shots of benadryl, one IM, one SubQ, 15 min later, and a drowsy
pincushion of a ferret, and a basket case of a mom left for home!  So
far, no more throwing up, THANK GOD!!!

Sorry this is so long, I'm still in shock!  Definitely a lesson to me, and
maybe others who figure "Can't happen to me!"

Hugs and dooks,
Vanessa, Squirt, and Kita