Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 1997 00:11:29 -0700
>From:    David Pradarelli <[log in to unmask]>
>...I have 3 healthy,happy fuzzies.They all need to go in for their distemper
>and rabies shots and reading the post has gotten me a little scared.If one
>of them have a bad reaction to one of the vaccinations how do you
>know,secondly what does the vet do?  Can they be treated?

The specifics are better left to the vets, but a suggestion here:

I gradually worked my 3 guys onto a staggered schedule where they get their
distemper inoculations and annual physical in late March, and their rabies
inoculations in early Oct.  That way, the shots are ~6 mos.  apart so I'll
know what causes what symptoms, and the ferrets get to see the vet twice per
year for the price of once.  The rabies inoculation isn't exactly a full
exam, but only the DVM can administer it, and he always gives the guys an
inspection first.  I figure he might spot something I've missed.  Then I'll
ask about something in particular, and he always takes a closer look.
Taking in a medical FAQ and asking questions works too.  Vets are
predictable when it comes to animals.

Apologies to the vet readership,

swamp

"Who, me officer? What's a ferut? These guys?? No, they're Polish cats."