From:
"Meier, Loree" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 2011 07:22:54 -0700
Hello all,

I read the FML daily though don't post often as so many of you have
much more experience with our various topics than I do.

I am currently a personal rescue now, having moved last year and
leaving the NNFN group in NV. They still do me the honor of considering
me a part of their rescue. I am now living in central WI and will
eventually go through the challenge of becoming a fully fledged rescue
with the 501c3 designation. It all takes time though.

As far as travelling with ferrets (or any other animal for that
matter), they never have free roam and instead are caged. Too many
accidents can happen. Ferrets under the brake/gas pedal, if you have to
brake suddenly and they go flying, and the worst - an actual accident
where they could get hurt in so many ways not to mention getting out.

When I traveled from NV to WI the 22 ferrets were all in wire cages (4
of them) and at night we would stop and transfer them to larger cages
in a specially designed trailer so we could clean the car cages and get
ready for the next day. We stopped often to check on water and food,
though we couldn't stop for long as the temps were warm and my car
being a hybrid would shut down, stopping the AC. It was a long trip!
They seemed to think it was a fun adventure!!

When I take them to the vet I use a hard cat carrier and secure it with
a seatbelt. Even the best most mellow ferret never gets to just ride
on my lap. The cats, and other critters that I have all travel in this
manner. The dog is secured with a harness and seat belted in too.

It takes extra time to take them anywhere, but if ever the worst should
happen, I hope that these precautions will keep the babies safe. At
least as safe as possible.

Hopefully this may help someone else.

Loree in WI

Loree Meier
Travelers Haven
Ferret Rescue, Rehabilitaion & Education
Stevens Point, WI  54481