From:
Charlene Lowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 1996 10:49:44 -0500
>From:    "James L. Myers" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Question on baby food???
>...a lady on there that said NOT to feed cat's (she didn't mention ferrets
>of course) baby food due to the "onion powder" that is included in the
>ingredients...

I give a baby food recipe to my cats at least 2 times per week and to the
ferrets all of the time with no problems.  I usually hear "onions",
"chocolate" and "danger" in the same sentence.  I think a lot (most?) people
do not consider this to be an unwaivering fact.  In super large large
quantities these *might* be toxic (and perhaps in some dogs you might have
to worry a bit more about chocolate eating) ...  Anyways, they used to make
all the Gerber meat babyfoods without "gravy" i.e. celery, onions, etc.
About a year ago we were all stocking up on the old kind before it became
unavailable.  But, I find my guys think the new stuff is just as palatable.

>From:    Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Odds-N-Ends
>In short, I have had just about every vacination possible.  My reactions to
>these shots have ranged from puncture pain to systemic illness....

What's the opinion on administering vaccines to ferrets with already
compromised immune systems.  Obviously the vaccinations play havoc with the
immune system initially and wouldn't it stress a ferret to the point that it
might shorten the lifespan of a terminally ill or elderly one, and/or
degrade the chance of a sickly ferret getting back on his feet?  I don't
know but Henry is due for his shots and has been sickly.  I would prefer to
wait till he is stronger (not that he is on deaths door or anything, just
skinny, has nervous problems, recent fever etc etc all of which we are
working on) or is this stupid - should we get the shots just on the slim
chance that he might bite somebody and we have to prove he is up to date for
example?  Also - I have heard somewhere or another that vaccinations really
do work for longer than one year (up to 3 years I've heard).  T/F?

To: Kelleen
We had earmites some time ago too.  We put drops of Ivermectin right in
their ears and then rubbed it in by massaging their ears.  Fixed the
situation right up... Think positive: 12 ferrets, 24 ears, 3 drops per ear,
2 times per day, 14 days = You will be a professional ear drop giver after
this experience!

To people who don't want their beasts inside their couch: I had a slipcover
professionally made for my couch - under the skirt is a flap where I
safety-pinned it to the couch.  Then tacked on cheap linoleum on the
underneath of the furniture.  The couch still looks great - you cannot tell
it is different from upholstery.  And when they put their noses into the
cracks around the frame to push their way inside they get a solid seam!!  It
is washable too!!  I had it made out of chocolate twill (or shirt denim some
people call it) so hopefully it will be pretty indestructable.

My condolences to all those who have lost their furry best friend.  These
beasts are so special...

Charlene
-- Charlene Lowe (c-lowe)