From:
Maggie Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 1997 16:49:18 -0500
Hey Guys,

I actually have time to sit down and type so you have to suffer!!!

As for the great hit-miss debate.  All of my ferrets who are really bad
about using the box are boys.  Ollie is the worst, he never uses one, even
in his cage.  Most of the bad boys are about 75% miss.

My little women, being the nice ladies they are, really have a high hit
rate.  Most are 100%, a couple are around 90%.

I let my guys run free most of time.  The big group of 16 have their own
room, with cages, but these stay open.  I am sure my hit rate would improve
should I cage them, but I refuse.

And I do highly recommend wood stove pellets.  They work really good and
control odor very well.  And they are cheap.

I have found something I like better, believe it or not.  Yesterday's News.
It is a smaller pellet than Pine Fresh or Wood Stove Pellets and works
grand.  It seems to last a goodly while.  The only problem is it is really
expensive, especially for me.  On top of the ferrets, I have 3 cats too.
But I am going to try to use it for awhile, maybe if I refinance the
house......

Someone mentioned anal glands or lack of and hit rate.  I don't know, but
have heard rumored that one of the big ferret ranches are no longer removing
anal glands anyway, since they supposedly atrophy because of altering.  I
have absolutely no idea if this is true or not, just something to consider.

I have one boy who still has anal glands and he seems no better or no worse
than the rest.  IOW, he goes next to the box sometimes.  LOL!!

Maggie Mae, knee deep in s***, in more ways than one