From:
Sherman Dorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Dec 1994 06:11:59 -0600
 James Makowski <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>I bought Magic Coat
>Tearless Kitten shampoo.  The ferret shampoo they make is not tearless
>and I didn't want anything that'd possibly injure her.

I don't know about this particular product, but I know that some so-called
"tearless" shampoos for humans are not harmless but rather have a mild
anaesthetic to dull the nerves that sense the stinging of soap.  I doubt the
sense of preventing the eyes from detecting potentially harmful soaps.
Look carefully at the ingredients of this shampoo.  I wouldn't use something
that needs an anaesthetic to mask its stinging.

For our ferrets, we use our shampoo -- Mill Creek's Jojoba.  This is largely
from
stinginess (frugality), and we know that their natural beautiful ferret odor
will
quickly mask any ugly jojoba smell they pick up.  (The last half of the sentence
from their point of view.)  We're just careful to avoid getting it in their
eyes.
Sherman Dorn
Vanderbilt University