From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 12:34:24 -0400
Okay folks, let's be practical.  Vet's aren't gods and they have to follow
laws or their licences are pulled.  I well recall one time a good while ago
when I went into an animal hospital at an off-hour and everyone was crying--
vets, techs, receptionists, all red faced and bleary eyed.  It seems that a
pup had been brought in over week before with damage from a car accident.
When the owner couldn't afford the surgery to save the leg the vets offered
a cut-rate and long payment options but still the owner left the dog there
refusing surgery, then the vets offered the surgery and still the owner
refused, then the leg was too damaged to save, but it had to come off to
save the dog and still the owner refused so the vets offered the surgery and
help adjusting for a handicapped animal and still he refused.  Next an
adoptive home and free care were offered.  Finally the man came in and had
the puppy put down while he watched.  Guess what?  Yep, even with offered
free care and new home he had it killed.  We are in one of the states with
the best animal protection laws, but if the vet had refused the vet's
licence could have been pulled.  The vet was in position which offered no
legal help for the vet, the hospital, or the puppy.  That is not the vet's
fault -- it's the law's fault.

Vets who refuse to declaw after all their tries to educate the people fail
(and they DO try) knowing that the owners will then either order the animal
destroyed or take the ferret to someone who will use bad procedure and
likely kill the animal on the table (while at the same time in some states
risking their licences) are in one heck of a terrible situation and how DARE
anyone slam them for trying to keep a critter alive!  Sorry, but I just
figure that people aren't realizing the too common limits of veterinary
authority, or that vets are also often victims.

The ones who are better tackled are new owners.  Those individuals need to
be educated that declawing is a mutilation which involves amputation of
phalanges.  Educate here, in magazines, in books, in webpages, etc..
Perhaps we could even hear from those on the FML who made this mistake
before they realize the extent of the damage and who now can explain more
honestly and effectively to new owners why they would not do so again.
Still, given how folks have already lashed into someone who does not
deserve to be mauled I could understand if they decide that it's too
dangerous an action.  Those who made the mistake in the past are here,
people, just as there are new owners who want to understand in a safe and
informative forum -- rather than in a arena with down-turned thumbs all
around and spears at their throats.

I certainly can tell folks about how the mangled paw Scooter has differs
from the others (either bad uterine environment, or inexperienced mother),
ditto one clawless toe Ashling has had since her mother groomed the tip off
at birth.  They can be used, but with marked limitations and restrictions
that go well beyond digging.

It used to be that there was less flaming here than has been happening
recently at this large population size, and we had more vets and more
reliable veterinary advice then, too.  Have seen some vets leave because of
their schedules, but other vets whom I personally know have told me that
they have left because of the folks who use the list to vent or to argue.
We all NEED to be able to get veterinary advice, and the vets here need
other vets for consulting and learning.

Take into account that sometimes an individual or a group (in this case
vets) can be trapped in legal binds and instead, please, find ways to teach,
okay?

Yes, there are those of us who badly want to give better protection to
animals by broadening the recognized boundries of animal abuse to include
wanton destruction even if done without pain, non-medically-needed surgeries
even if in a veterinary setting (Let's face the facts that sometimes there
are medical reasons for some gland removals or amputations.), and breeding
abuses.  We all know full well that humane societies have tried to tackle
these problems for years and will go on trying, with a bit of victory here
or there to give slow and steady improvement.

There are ways we'd all like the world to change overnight, but it's not
going to.  All any of us can do is to work to try to get what improvements
we can and realize that sometimes others are in bind they hate but can not
avoid.  WORK TO CHANGE THE LAWS TO BETTER PROTECT ANIMALS!