From:
Joyce Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 1996 08:48:17 -0400
>1) Do not open your door until they show a warrant.  Officers have been know
>to use the fact that you opened your door as implied consent to come in.
>Once your door is open they can use any number of technical reasons to come
>in, such as claiming they could see your ferret or evidence of a ferret.
>Even if the reason is legally invalid they can still seize your ferret.  Do
>not let yourself be intimidated or manipulated.  They may try to insist on
>you opening the door by sweet talking or threats.  But without a search or
>arrest warrent you do not even have to talk to them.

If the police have a search warrant, it means that they've already been to a
judge, shown that they have *some* evidence, and the judge has decided that
there's a good reason to do a search, so you must let them in.  If the
police do not have a search warrant, you do not have to let them in to
search your house under any circumstances.  Opening your door is not
accepted as consent in any court that I know of.

:
>[Fearless Moderator's note: Even if you don't purchase the special option
>to receive calling numbers instantly, you'll still get a list of all the
>calling numbers with your phone bill.  BIG]

I guess it's just up to the rest of us to rat on all the F&G personnel who
have ferrets, eh?  What were those numbers?

-- Joyce