From:
Julie Fossa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jul 2005 06:33:33 -0700
I see so many people on this list promoting projects to raise badly
needed funds for various shelters.  Still others, quietly behind the
scenes, donate time cleaning cages, fostering, or helping provide
needed bedding and other supplies.

Shelter moms and dads give time and money; providing their home, paying
vet bills, food and litter, giving meds and post op care, cleaning up
stray poopies, and answering phone and email correspondences until there
is often nothing left to give, neither emotionally nor financially.
Sheltering is not easy.

BIG donates precious time from his busy life to bring us the FML each
day, faithfully.

The American Ferret Association (AFA) is propelled almost completely by
volunteers, with possibly one paid person.

Ferrets Across America (FAA) is driven totally by volunteers; from the
co-ordinator(s) to those that put their lives on hold long enough to
fill their gas tank to move a ferret from location A to location B.
All for the love of ferrets and to help a fellow ferret enthusiast.

The International Ferret Congress (IFC) is another all-volunteer group.
Without the efforts of the committee members and the many event
volunteers, not one Ferret Symposium would have been possible.  Without
their dedication to promoting educational events it would only be a good
idea.

Support Our Shelters (SOS) is another world class organization operating
totally by volunteer power.  Many wonderful people give of their time and
resourses to organize and run various fundraisers; projects that require
advertising, collecting monies, updating the progress and reporting the
success of each project.  Raffles, the Card Exchange, Ferrets of the FML
Calendar, and the Buck of the Month Club are just a few projects
volunteers have shouldered to make this organization the success it is.

The Ferret Health List (FHL) is also supported by volunteers.  This
wonderful group of moderators and vets have a deep committment to monitor
the list to get important questions and replies onto the site in a time
frame that helps ferrets and owners in need.  Ferret owners take their
time to read and share their experiences in hopes of helping a ferret
and it's owner.

Many labor long hours to present our many ferret shows for the enjoyment
of all.

Our Bridge Keepers invest time and creativity to heal mourning ferret
moms and dads.

I apologize if I have overlooked any other volunteer groups.  Your
efforts, too, are deeply appreciated.

Every one of these volunteers put their hearts and souls into what they
are doing, and deserve a huge thank you.  They should be appreciated -
and recognized- for their dedication and efforts.  They are trying to
balance their service to the ferret community with their families and
home lives.

Nearly all have a full time job, possibly with mandatory overtime,
commanding their time.  Others juggle multiple part time jobs.  Some have
children to care for, others have aging parents or grandparents to help,
and all have homes to run.  Some are battling health issues, themselves.
Some are enduring an emotional crisis such as a death or serious illness
in their family.  Some are fighting legal battles.  All have feelings
that can be assasinated by rudeness or inconsiderate comments.  None of
our volunteers are paid, and none of them deserve cold criticism.

Ask questions, but please use courtesy.  Offer suggestions in a
constructive fashion.  Understand when someone may not be able to return
your call at your convenience.  Realize they just may not be able to
help with what you need.  And ASK if or how you can help.

If we are going to continue to have successful volunteer based
organizations, we have to treat our volunteers with dignity and respect
and remember to say Thank You occasionally.

So, regardless if you're involved with a recognized group or have
rescued, transported or taken in just one homeless ferret, you are a
hero.

To all our volunteers, I say THANK YOU!

Julie Fossa

Julie Fossa (772)228-9067, temp.