From:
Laura Grant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 03:21:46 -0800
Hi!

I posted a couple of weeks ago about my 3 1/2 yr. old ferret Clint whom we
suspect has adrenal disease.  I found a vet here in Oklahoma City that has
done numerous surgeries and has seen ferrets for over 20 yrs.  He is very
knowledgeable about ferrets, and stays up with ferret health topics, but
he said he has never seen an adrenal ferret with the type of hair loss
Clint has, and is hesitant to operate - afraid it might be unnecessary or
too early in the disease to tell which gland is affected.  (He usually
diagnoses and treats adrenals based on presenting symptoms.) All of the
adrenal ferrets he has seen have had the typical hair loss starting at
the base of the tail and progressing upward.

Clint's hair loss is on his belly and right side, behind the right ear,
between the "shoulder blades", and on his toes.  His tail is fine,
especially the base!  He does present with other symptoms I've mentioned
before - sexual behavior towards Sophie, ferret #3 in the pecking order,
some lethargy, frequent urination and not much urine each time (urine has
been checked for stones - negative).

Guess I am just wanting reassurance that to go ahead with surgery is the
right thing?  Or should he have the Tennessee panel done before, just to
make sure?  My vet is willing to do whatever we decide, so we want to make
the best decision for Clint.

I'd appreciate any input from Dr. Williams, other vets, or ferret owners
who have experienced such atypical hair loss as Clint has.

Thanks for your help!
Laura
Arnold, Clint, and Sophie