From:
Date:
Sun, 3 May 1998 23:59:24 -0700
>From:    Ela Heyn <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: The "live virus" excuse
>Also, what about those patients who are then led to believe that their
>pet really DID receive a live virus, and then go about spreading this
>misinformation to other pet owners?  Sounds like even your sister, the
>one who is studying to be the vet, bought into this piece of misinformation,
>given that she told you that YOUR pet's reaction might be due to "too much
>live virus".

Fervac-D say on its label that it is a "Modified Live Virus".  Its one
reason that one should be very careful NOT to overdose a ferret by giving
more vaccine than recommended by the manufacturer or too close together.
We've heard of cases where vets thinking they were "smarter" than the vets
at United gave shots at two week intervals and the ferrets got distemper
(or a very close relative).  Check the Fox book.  Our copy isn't handy to
cite the page number.

We aren't so quick to put down the vet student's idea but as pointed out
earlier there is no live virus in a rabies vaccine.  "Too much live virus"
is probably not the way to put it but an overstressed immune system could be
involved.  United recommends against rabies and distemper vaccinations being
done in the same visit.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/