From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Aug 2011 01:54:45 -0400
Pretty much every FML member is likely to have had a ferret helped
because of the careful studies of Cathy Delaney-Johnson. I think that
since all that currently exist are allegations -- and we do not even
know if those allegations are by one person or a couple of people
connected to each other who might have had gripes or competition with
the accused party -- it makes sense to let the topic rest until what is
known is more than just speculation. None of us would want to be abused
publicly in the way that she has been over the last few days online, so
why settle for such behavior when we are not the targets?

At this point only allegations and accusations exist, and they are
against a vet who discovered things that improved ferret veterinary
care for all of us, and who helped run a shelter, and otherwise helped
so very, very many ferrets. I think she has more than earned a bit of
courtesy and consideration while hard facts are lacking. So many here
have a debt to CDJ due to improvements in veterinary care for ferrets
thanks to her work that perhaps the way to repay it is with compassion
toward her and patience during a stressful investigation into what are
still only allegations. If someone who has made the world a better
place can not get that kindness in return from the very people she has
helped then what sort of hope do most people have for fair treatment?

Can the topic be dropped, please, at least while nothing more is
actually known, since too much of what has been added beyond the
excellent illustrations of false accusations others have suffered and
the reminders to be fair, has been no more than speculation, and nasty
speculation at that? Waiting quietly seems the only decent thing to do,
and the way that any of us would want to be treated were we the
accused.

Compassion and consideration are beautiful strengths.