Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1993 22:04:45 -0500
     I cannot thank you enough for the very informative information
you provided on the heart disease cardiomyopathy. I hope all the
ferret owners on this list were able to obtain a copy because
I feel this is a very subtle disease and to know about it
could possibly save a ferret from unnecessary suffering.
Also recognizing the early warning signs and getting immediate
medical attention can prolong a ferrets life.
     My ferret Hun-Hun was in the latter stages of the disease
so nothing extensive could be done. The vet could only provide
medicine to make him more comfortable.
     Maybe if I had been more aware of the early warning signs
of this disease Hun-Hun would have had a better chance.
     So please all you ferret lovers out there...keep a close
check on those wonderful animals. If you notice your ferret is
lethargic, coughing up fluid, seems to be breathing rapidly
or with difficulty and seems to have an usually large or
bloated abdomen take him to your vet and explain your
concerns.
     My vet could tell just by listening to Hun-Hun's
heartbeat and feeling his abdomen.
     Dr. Williams your help has come just in time. Monday
I am taking Teebone in for surgery to correct the problem
with his peri-anal abscess. I have found a vet that has
done this type of surgery before. I have expressed my
concerns with Teebone coughing up fluid and I have requested
a radiograph be performed while he is in for the surgery.
Keep your fingers crossed that the xrays are normal and the
surgery is a success. I fear that Teebone will have problems
with incontinence but the vet assures me that he has not had
any problems as a result of this operation. Oh, by the way
this vet owns a ferret so he must love them!
     Thanks again Dr. Williams.
                                      Sincerely,
                                      Judy Gallipeau.