From:
"J.A vd Linde" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 21:51:00 +0100
Hey all,

I will try to translate what our book of the dutch shelter has to say about
"VOMITING". (They have over 15 years experience with ferrets) Please forgive
me my grammitical mistakes...

***Vomiting

Vomiting is a sympton. The cause are numbers. The most likely causes beside
wrong food is an infectie from a virus or a bacterie. One of the most
formiliar is de cause of the "Van Weil" disease. This is caused by a
bacterie. This disease is also contagius for humans.

Contamination can be done by the urine of rats or other infected animals. To
prevent infection (of the ferret) you can vaccinate your ferret. You have to
do that every year. We overhere have a cocktail that also vaccinate against
"Weil".

Another well known bacterie is the Salmonella-bacterie.  The cause is eating
tainted food.  ALso humans can get sick of this bacterie.  To prevent
ilness: Don't feed them rodents or poultry and don't feed them raw eggs.
Beside infection diseases the cause of vomiting can also be the presents of
a strange object in stomach/intestinal canal (a "corpus alienum"), like
rubber, pieces of bones etc.

It depens on where this "corpus alienum" is, which make them symptons more
or less serious.  When it got stuck in the intestines are the symptons more
servire and is DIRECT RESPONCE by a vet nescesarry!!!!!!  Besides vomiting,
diarree is also a common sympton when there is a "corpus alienum" present in
the intestines.***

Hope that I've been of any help with this.
BTW I just called the shelter and asked them what to give them when they
vomit.  IF THE VOMITING CONTINUES (MORE THEN ONE/TWO TIMES) DON'T GIVE THEM
ANYTHING BUT DO DIRECTLY TO YOUR VET.  THEY NEED MEDICINE THEN!!!!!

Okay bye for now.
Astrid from Holland