From:
Ronnie DiComo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 14:18:25 EDT
Recently Dr Bruce Wms responded to 2 adrenal posts (it's wonderful to have
you posting again, by the way)...

Kim had written:
>Jerry has been having some trouble using the bathroom  ...  He has also
>been acting more agressively towards Stimy lately...

Dr. Williams' Reply:
>The third symptom (which is the most tenuous here, as there is not a lot
>of information here) is Jerry's "trouble using the bathroom".  Although
>you don't state whether this is physical, or more of a location problem, a
>percentage of male ferrets with adrenal disease will eventually developing
>prostatic cysts, which make it very difficult for them to urinate.  They
>will spend a fair amount of time trying to go, and in the end stages, they
>can't at all.  This then rapidly becomes a life-threatening situation.

 and...
>How about the male animals that will die as a result of prostatic disease
>and resultant uremia as a result of inability to urinate.

I have a ferret who did not show many 'classic' signs of adrenal (he had
some itching and only slight hair loss).  But I became alarmed when I saw
him straining to go to the bathroom and was sure he had a blockage.  He
didn't--he has adrenal disease.  PLEASE--if your ferret shows any signs
of straining--do not ignore it!  This is a life-threatening situation.
Because he is high risk for surgery, Harry is now on Lupron, which did
alleviate the symptoms rather quickly.  But please don't ignore this sign
even if your ferret does not have other 'adrenal' symptoms.

Also--there have been a few people whose ferrets have died unexpectedly.
Could you please post the causes if you can, so other people can learn from
what happened.  Giving updates is really helpful--whether it's a medical
condition, or a lost ferret, etc.  We'd like to know what happened; thanks!

Ronnie