From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 12:42:03 EDT
>From:    Roger Vaughn <[log in to unmask]>
>
>It's always a good idea to take precautions, however, this one is not
>much to worry about. ....
>
>Supposedly this virus has not been released on the internet, and was only
>sent to the virus labs by its creators.  Researchers are most concerned
>about the innovation this represents, not the virus itself.....
>
>Again, it pays to take all reasonable precautions, but this particular
>one is not (yet) a threat....

Thank you for following up my post with more specific information.  I
knew all that, but I am very bad at explaining anything in computer to
people. :)  You got the definition to a T.

I do disagree with something.... this virus was reported by CNN as a
threat on the internet (of course it sure wouldn't be the first time CNN
screwed up its details), and is on Nortons site for you defininitions.  It
is a low risk virus presently as it is new, not as spread yet, and as you
said you need two parts,,,even then the damage is not as severe as some
other virus's.  Buuut..  it has been reported to be spread as a .zip.  So
that there is a jpg, and the other part together.  I think I had read that
on Nortons.

Maybe you could offer details about this post as well since I am bad at
explaining them.  You explained how this virus works so concisely and in
terms anyone can understand.  I thought that was great. :)

In any case, even if I'm wrong and it is not a big threat now... it's
looking like one day it may be, or that future virus's may be designed
that would affect .jpgs in this way or even a more backdoor way.  For
ferret lovers that is bad, cause we share so many zips of jpgs etc of our
babies.  So I was just warning... I mean many computer users thinkg "oh
.zip or .jpg... harmless" in the same breath.

Wolfy

Please visit:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/
for information on ferret deafness:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/deaf.html

[Moderator's note: I'd strongly suggest that more technical details about
this virus would be beyond the scope of ths list.  The subject is already
off-topic and though we can have some off-topic posts now and then I
think it would be taking things too far ;-)  BIG]