From:
Joanie Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 1996 16:16:36 -0700
To Yolanda -

Every once in a while one of my ferrets will gasp and gag a bit, and I
usually attribute it to a little hair caught in their throat, in which case
some Laxatone or Petromalt clears it up.  My first ferret, Odie, did this a
lot.  He was inclined to swallow hair and I would sometimes see it in his
droppings.  The panting when he plays is a bit more worrisome to me.  He
could have a respiratory infection.  If I were you, I would have him checked
by your vet for possible respiratory or even heart problems.  Both could
cause these symptoms.  (Even though he is young, there is always the
possibility of congenital heart disease.) Later in his life my Odie started
to pant on exertion, and heart disease was diagnosed, but there's probably a
good possibility that your little guy may have a chest cold.  Good luck.

Sincerely,

Joanie Williams at Ferret Haven