From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 1996 11:16:03 -0500
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Jamie Gunter <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Emergency
>We had to rush our male albino to the emergency clinic last night ...

I hope the ferret is doing better by now.  The symptoms suggest an
intestinal problem (gas on the x-ray) but it is hard to be more specific.
Partial obstructions, ingesting noxious substances, infections are all
possibilities.

>From:    Laura Young <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Turkey day, leg lifts, Vet quest.yeast infection in ears

If one was to culture the yeast in the ear canal, the odds are that it is
normal everyday yeast that is on everything.  It probably set up shop in
your ferret s ears secondary to the original ear mite infection.  Ear mites
can change the microscopic environment enough to make it more hospitable for
these types of opportunistic infections.  Routinely for ear mites, I use
Tresaderm.  It gets ear mites but also has other medications to deal with
these secondary problems.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA