From:
Melody Tomaszewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 08:46:59 -0500
Hi all-

I've been lurking for a few months, and just thought I'd introduce myself
and my ferrets.  I wanted to talk about the inevitability of Ferret Math!

I must be one of the few people who were hit with Ferret Math before I got my
first ferret in the door!

My daughter had been begging for a ferret for years.  We decided to get her
one at the end of the summer.  Well, we went to the pet store (yes, a little
early) in the middle of June and saw two male ferrets.  One was less than
charming--he nipped hard.  The other one was a very well behaved and sweet
sable gib.  We put some money down on him, and ordered a cage.  Until the
cage came in, we visited every few days to see Furry, and I think he looked
forward to seeing us.

Just a few days before the cage arrived, another group of ferrets came in.
As we walked over to see Furry, a chocolate silver mitt sprite came to the
top of the cage and put her little paws up on the wire sides "Please take me
out!".  I lifted her up to my face and she gave me a nose kiss.

I was in love...and I was devastated two seconds later to find that she was
already bought and paid for.  The kid who bought her was just waiting to
pick up a cage.  "What a sweetie!  Oh, God, I'd buy her in a second if she
wasn't already sold!" I sadly left the store and went home after one more
stolen cuddle.

Two days later, I got a call from the store--the little boy who had bought
her had counted on his mother to buy him a cage.  His uncle had paid for the
ferret.  Mom didn't go for the idea of having a ferret, or couldn't afford a
cage.  She was available--did I want her?  We went to drop off a deposit at
light speed.  Although we didn't plan to buy two, we had already made a
connection with Furry, and I didn't think it would have been fair to leave
him behind.  And besides, we were probably going to buy him a playmate soon
anyway to keep him company while we were at work.  Of course, the perfect
name for her was Sweetie.

And so, the following Saturday, Furry and Sweetie took possession of their
human slaves...   Oops--I mean two ferrets came into our lives.