From:
Don & Janice Boyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 14:38:56 -0600
Dear Ferret lovers and wonderful caregivers,

My vet told me today that last year in the United States that ferret owning
households grew 180,000 plus.  Those of you in the know, know why this is
depressing news.But please read on, anyway.

For those of you who do not, I would like to tell you that the large
majority, by far, of these innocent little lovies will end up in one of
several unsatisfactory situations: They will suffer painful crippling
injuries or be killed because of ignorance on the part of the owners on how
and why a home has to be ferret-proofed and how to properly handle them;
they will be caged most or all of the time because they are "too much
trouble"; they will suffer malnutrition because owners do not know how to
feed them properly or they just do not care or do not want to spend the
money and do it as cheaply as possible; they will suffer illness and disease
because of apathy, ignorance, unavailability of "ferret-friendly" vets
(those vets who know what to do to treat ferrets correctly and are willing
to do it); they will be passed from ignorant owner to ignorant owner which
places them in constant peril, stress and abandonment; they will be
abandoned or "let out" to suffer tragic, painful deaths; they will turned in
to dog/cat pounds and many will be killed out of ignorance or apathy or mean
spitited people who have developed anti-ferret bias; they will live short,
painful lives as research animals and die horrible deaths; OR the fortunate
ones will somehow find their way to a loving ferret shelter or rescue
operation or foster home or eventually to a ferret-literate family adoptee
home.  Far too minority numbers end up this way, make no mistake of that.

If the market would slow or stop for domestic ferret kits, eventually, the
breeders would stop breeding them.  Don't buy kits.  Educate others.
Encourage and SUPPORT ferret shelter/rescue operations.  If you are ferret
loving and most importantly, skilled, adopt a ferret from a shelter/rescue.
Compile literature on proper care of ferrets such as how to feed and care
for them, how to ferret-proof a home, proper medical care including most
common illnesses which befall ferrets, proper vaccination, the importance of
knowing the laws in the owners area in the event of a bite or scratch
incident (I can help if you need specific literature--call me), then take
copies of the literature and ask pet shop owners who sell ferrets and every
vet in you area to please hand out the literature.  Most people are really
busy these days, with life and all.  But couldn't you spare a few minutes to
help other little fuzzies?  It really doesn't take much time, just a tiny
bit every so often and some love and compassion for these wonderful little
animals that no one will look out for if we do not.  Please consider doing
something right away.

Thanks---From Gracie's Place