From:
Robert Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 18:01:20 -0400
Hello all.

The great state of Michigan is doing it yet again.

The gentleman with the problem isn't me this time.  He lives in Owosso
Michigan and does not have internet access and I've not been able to reach
him by phone because the county jail won't allow my calls through (immediate
family only).

This gent was walking his currently vaccinated ferret on a leash in his
neighborhood when a neighbor boy ran up to him, and attempted to pet the
ferret.  The feret nipped at him and my understanding is that the ferret did
not break the skin.  This occured on 7/7/97.

The child's pediatrician was contacted and informed, the dr.  then submitted
a "bite report" to the Shiawassee County Health Department who were told by
the State Health Department that the ferret MUST BE KILLED AND TESTED.

Someone came to the gentleman's door and insisted he turn the ferret over to
them, which he did.  I am told now that person was in no-way involved with
animal control or the state in any way and the ferret has disappeared.

This gentleman has since been arrested (and the county won't disclose the
charges) at approximately 10:30 at night on 7/13/97 and currently is a
resident at the Shiawassee County Jail.  Rumors abound, but supposedly the
charges are endangerment toward this child.  The big kink in this is that
the man is a potential heart recipient on loads of medication for his heart
condition.  The police department was refusing him his medications (so I was
told but can not verify).

On the advice of the child's pediatrician the child is undergoing the rabies
shots which started 7/8/97.

I've not disclosed the gentleman's name simply because I've not spoken with
him directly nor have I obtained his permission to publicize it at this
point.  This state will never learn nor will they abide by their own laws.

This one needs the fax's and phone calls again folks, if you're up to it we
need to make the Capital realize what they're appointed people are once
again pursuing.

Bob Jacobs