Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:07:51 -0800
Hi Angie,

Wow - I'm really sorry to hear of your plight with your job and the care
of your kids.  I have a friend who says the same thing as you..."if these
were human kids, there'd be no problem..."

I, on the other hand (and I don't mean this as a rub in your face), am
very fortunate to have a boss that totally allows me the freedom to take
care of my animals as needed.  The funny thing is???  He's not an animal
person!  He's surrounded by animal lovers (his family), but he himself
could careless about having animals.  The good side of that though is he
does allow me to bring my ferts to work when one is sick and needs around
the clock care.  He also allows me to leave work whenever needed for vet
appointments and related errands (pharmacy/pet store runs, ordering on
the internet and allowing shipments to and from work for shelter
donations, etc...).  Like you I do not shlep my responsibilites while at
work - yes my fert can run around my closed office when I'm having lunch,
and yes they can sleep on my desk in their sleepsack while I work and/or
need to be fed.  In fact, I started leaving an extra cage in my office so
that I wouldn't have to carry it back and forth when needed!  All this
and I live in California!  Ok, I guess you can say I am very lucky.

One thing you might want to make him realize is how important your
animals are to you.  With that said, you may want to talk to him and
emphasize how it would improve your sanity and job performance if you
could bring a sick fert to work (without abusing the privilege) when
needed instead of having to stress about it while working.  Also you may
have to put in the extra mile by making up time when you go to the vets
and such.  One thing my boss knows is that work is my first priority
while there and I will get the work done when needed - even if I have to
work 12 hours (and not get paid - I'm an exempt employee).  Your attitude
about work goes a long way when you want privileges in return - at least
it has always worked for me.

I just wanted to let you know that I totally feel for you and
sympathize... good luck and if you do get good results from speaking
directly to him please keep us posted.

Tanya