From:
pibluphi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2013 10:20:44 -0500
Hello,
My name is Kitty. I just became a member of this list last night. I
am seeking information on flying with two ferrets (from US to Japan).
I originally posted this question to another list. I received many
wonderful, useful responses but I was advised to do the same here to
see whether there are more people with similar experience.

(Thank you, nic, for passing me the information from Nell, and thank
you, Nell for the info.)

I am planning to fly from Indianapolis (in midwest in US) to Tokyo,
Japan, sometime late spring to summer this year. From what I learned
from people in another list and my search, the following options seem
to be possible:

Plan A: I do the move myself. Fly on the US-based or Japan-based
airlines. One stop at Chicago, and direct flight to Tokyo (11 hours).
The total flight length will be 13+ hours. The area my ferrets are
placed will be pressurized, and climate-controlled. But still, there
is a possibility of danger before and after going in the aircraft.
The airlines have heat regulations (over 85F).

Plan B: Hire a professional pet shipper. (They say the pet owner
"could" fly on the same flight.) I have asked quotes from several
agents and got some back. The fees vary. One agent plans the similar
route as my Plan A, another uses the route via Europe using KLM.

The total flight duration will be longer with the plan with KLM, and
in Amsterdam, all animals need to stay there for 4 hour layover. The
longest flight my ferrets would have will be 10-11 hours. They will be
placed in the pressurized/climate-controlled area. KLM doesn't have
heat regulations since (they say) the animals will not be exposed to
the hot temperature.

There are pros and cons with either plan. I was wondering if you had
experienced something similar.

Thank you in advance,
Kitty