Date:
Sat, 1 May 2010 02:59:42 -0700
In regards to dogs and ferrets getting along. Of course it should
always be supervised. However, I do not think its a good idea. I
currently have a 4 month old Min Pin/Jack Russell mix. She was
fostered with seven ferrets, at first she played well with all my
foster ferrets. But in the last month or so has been getting a bit
rough with them. She latches on to their tails, boxes them, and is
just a bit much for them. Of course she is not intentionally trying
to harm them, she just does not realize they are ferrets and plays with
them as she would another dog. Sadly we have made the decision to start
crating her in another room while the ferrets are out. I would not want
to risk injury or even worse death to one of my babies.

It takes a split second for something to happen, and with a dog it is
usually fatal. I made the mistake of thinking my Rottie mix would like
the ferret because he loved our rabbit. I introduced them to each other
and in a blink of an eye my ferret was in his mouth. Luckily I had him
cupped in my hand and I was bitten not the ferret.

From experience I would not risk it. If its something you want to do,
then that is your decision. I am just offering some friendly advice.

Take Care
JoAnn
Ferret Friends Inc, Tucson