From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 08:31:23 -0400
Judith - I guess I missed it.  What all is MF doing in terms of research
etc.  to help ferrets?  I suppose that as a by product of trying to be
more efficient and more profitable that benefits have come out of their
business.  But that doesn't mean that they care about the overall big
picture of ferret welfare.  If they cared they are a few simple things
they could do.

(1) Not market to Japan before vets and consumers knew zip about them - I
saw some of the ads and they heavily implied that they are caged pet.  As
in like a hamster.

(2) Sell their ferrets with a simple fact sheet.  Even better yet it would
be more responsible to sell them with a questionnaire "You should/shouldn't
be a ferret owner if" sort of thing (but that would cut down on profit)

(3) Sell them a few weeks older (also a profit problem)

(4) Donate some of their profits to shelters

(5) Donate to Vet Colleges for education, research

To my knowledge they do none of this.  Anything they do seems to relate
entirely to increasing profit margins.  I'm glad some good info comes from
this but that certainly doesn't put them on my "gee their kind people"
list.

As for breeding for profit - I personally don't think a responsible breeder
who actually comes out a little ahead on a litter of whatever is wrong per
se.  However if you breed with the intent to make a profit - you run the
risk of what in my mind is an irresponsible breeder.  I.e. Whether cats z
or dogs or ferrets you should only be breeding to improve the breed.  A
knowledge of genetics, breed standards, health screening for known problems
in that breed, showing and breeding only those animals that have proven to
be the best of the best in all aspects is in my opinion a responsible
breeder.  A responsible breeder to my mind does it because they love the
breed and breed because they think they can keep it sound and healthy.
Anything less is simply adding to the pet overpopulation problem.  Breeders
who disagree and aren't actively involved in rescue or volunteer at their
local animal shelter - well they need to IMHO.

Mary, Booker and the fuzzbutts Boris and Giesela
If you don't Rescue, Don't Breed