From:
Melanie Hawkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 16:18:38 -0500
I have 3 rugrats, Gizmo (5 yr old male), Norman (4.5 yr old male), and Moser
(2 yr old female).  They have a 12'X 8' (3.5'walls) area in the basement
that they stay in while I am at work.  The ferret area has a 2-story condo
made out of wood, tunnels, rugs to play under, and ferret tents, so while I
am away they can get some exercise.  When I come home I open the door to the
ferret area and they have free roam of the house until I go to bed.  Norman
automatically runs to the front door, because he loves it outside.  I just
discovered a great way to entertain and tire him while outside too.  I drag
a stick across the lawn, and he really likes the noise that it makes.  I
have never seen him run after something so fast.  He loves it and will run
all over the yard to try to get it.  If you have an outside ferret try this.
Gizmo (Mr. Mellow) loves bags, but I have to provide him with new bags (new
scents) to play in.  I usually get all ferrets into a spastic mood and they
play in the bags for long periods of time.  They also love tunneling
underneath rugs, but one rug in particular.  The rug needs to be formed so
that there are already tunnels for them to play in.  They really dig that!
I think that the rug is their favorite item for playing in.  If boredom
strikes and they run out of things to do, I usually ask my friend to bring
her 2 boys over.  Norm and Moser really love to play with them, and they
even make Norm forget about going outside which is a difficult thing to do.
Since Giz doesn't let any other males into the house and attacks my friend's
two boys, I usually take him outside for some digging time.  All ferrets
also love to get wet and run around like crazy trying to get dry.  When I
dip them in water, they seem to forget about their boredom for a while since
they are too busy running and jumping on each other.  It's only fair - my
fuzzballs provide me with entertainment, and in return I try to provide some
for them.

Melanie and the gang

Gizzy (Did you say ferretone?)
Norman (Let's go for a hike!)