Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 11:33:58 EDT
I was told to contact the Ferret Mailing List by the American Ferret
Association.  I have a big problem and am looking for some generous help.
A few years ago I would have never asked for help, but now I am desperate.
I have two ferrets with adrenal gland disease.  They are both 6 years old.
I have had them checked by my vet, and I just cannot afford the cost of
the surgery.  I called a few other vets and they want between $1200 and
$1600 for the surgery, (for both).  I praying I can find "some kind" of
help.  I am a responsible pet owner, and I know if you can't afford to
take care of your pets, you shouldn't have them, but in the past 3 years
I spent almost $10,000 on vet bills, including prescription food, visits,
and prescriptions.

In the past 3 years alone I spent over $3,000 in vet bills for my ferret
who had bladder stones, $1,600 for knee surgery for my dog, at least $600
on another dog who was having seizures about 4 times a month, (Thank God
she is fine now, and without medication!)  At least $1,000 on another dog
who has been by my vet at least 15 times for misc.  things in less than
two years (pet shop dog ... I'll never buy again, when there are so many
to rescue)!  Over $500 to rescue and transport a dog from a shelter in CA
here to NY last Christmas, $550 for surgery on a 22 year old cockateil I
rescued, and almost a thousand in the last few months for a couple of
checkups.  As you can see, vet bills were not a problem for me or my
husband and I am not complaining.  We don't have any "human" children -
just "fur-kids," but at the end of last year we ran into some BIG
financial problems.  I am disabled and lost my benefits, my husband lost
his job, and last month we had to file for bankruptcy.  We are doing the
best we can right now to get by and can't afford any additional bills,
but I need to do something with my girls, Pam and Melissa - the ferrets.
Melissa is the mushiest little thing, but very tired, and Pam has such
itchy, thin skin, she looks like she walked through barb-wire due to her
scatching and she has a lot of aggression towards Melissa at times.
Neither one of then has a lot of hair.  It is hard to sit back and not be
able to do anything knowing that they need surgery.

I there anyone that can help?  I used to go to ferret shows, (Ferret
Fiesta) but have been "out of the loop" so to say, since I got sick 5
years ago, so I don't know what kind of groups are out there.  AMA told me
people have done fundraisers to help pay for surgeries, or Ebay auctions
to raise money.  Has any ferret groups ever collected money and sent it to
the vet who will do the surgery?  I have made donations like that in the
past (but for dogs).

I am hoping for a miracle, and I know they happen!  I'd like to think
finding a couple from CA to help me save a dog from a shelter and then
sending her to me here in NY was a miracle, and my ferret Penelope, who
passed away a few years ago, had cancer and when through Chemotherapy -
and her cancer went away!  I'm hopeful a miracle will make it's way to
Pamela and Melissa!

OK, I am all talked out.  If this can anyway be posted on your mailing
list, I'd truly be grateful.  Thank you for listening.  Also, if you can
point me in a direction of someone that can help I'd greatly appreciate
it.  Sincere thanks ~ Lisa from Long Island, NY

PS... I could offer some volunteer work, phone and computer work maybe if
anyone needs it.