From:
Shawn & Lori <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:07:56 -0700
This is my first time to write of a death, so please bare with me all
you who know what the pain is like and how difficult an unexpected
passing is.

On June 20th, the day after my 20th birthday and the day of my 11
month wedding anniversary, Smokey, our oldest ferret unexpectedly passed
away.  There had been no previous signs of illness.  Smokey's age was
uncertain -- somewhere around 4 to 6 years.  She was with us for nine
months, a blessing passed along to us from Dook-N-Dance ferret rescue in
North Carolina.

I was just reaching into one of our five foot tall cages to pluck a
ferret from a hammie to cuddle, not looking just reaching.... She was so
cold... I had never touched a deceased animal before.  I have to admit
that I screamed.  My husband came running and all I could say was "She's
Dead!" over and over.

Was it just a week or so ago when she was outside on her leash tunneling
through the pine straw?  Was it just a few days ago she was covering me
in kisses?  It took us three months after receiving her from Dook-N-Dance
for her to not be shy of human hands -- just as long for her to learn to
trust my husband and give him kisses.  She was so full of love.

I feel so bad for all the other fur kids.  They have been in an emotional
uproar for the last 72 hours.  Lance, Sandy and Loki are fighting; frisky
Merlin the biter is calm and giving kisses; Rat is moping - Smokey was
the love of his life.  Nikita is staying out of everyone's way.

Sandee, please show Smokey around, especially to the treat bar and maybe
find her some pine straw to play in.  She was very loved and the queen of
our seven wonder weasels.  She is the first to go, but others may be soon
to follow.  Merlin and Nikita are losing the hair on their tail; I hope
it is rat tail, but only time will tell.  All of this happened this
weekend, such a emotional few days.  Thanks to

Linda and Jane at Dook-N-Dance for coming out to the house, four hours
from the shelter, to console a grieving family.

Missing our queen weasel,
Lori and the 6 Remaining Wonder Weasels
(Lance, Loki, Merlin, Nikita, Pirate, and Sandy)