From:
Kim VanderLaan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 21:22:34 EST
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Could you PLEASE tell HOW you managed to nurse the day old ferrets?  Did
>you use the old tricks of soaking fine cotton cloth (sheeting or
>handkerchief cloth) in the formula and letting them suck on that, or a
>dropper behind cloth while letting them suck on cloth?

Frankly, I've had some trouble wondering why breeders can't keep kits alive
by hand-raising them.  Please don't anyone take offense at this.  It is not
intended that way.  I have never bred ferrets and don't intend to.

I am a wildlife rehabber and have successfully raised baby opossums (before
their eyes open or their mouths are fully open), baby squirrels (from about
2 days of age), rabbits (newborn), raccoons (1 week old), woodchucks,
skunks (about 1 week old), and yes, I have raised deer mice from roughly 3
days old.  Since I can successfully raise all these animals which range in
size from fingernail size to newborn kitten size, I don't know why this is
so hard with ferrets.

I use syringes without needles or nipples for very young animals and MAY
use a nipple later on, depends on the animal.  I also tube-feed when
necessary (not squirrels due to the unique anatomy of the squirrel
esophagus).  For formula, I use species-specific formulas that have been
developed for use by rehabbers.  The skunk formula is as close as I have to
a weasel or ferret, but it should work fine.  Formulas are usually made up
of one or a combination of the following (all by Pet Ag): Esbilac, KMR,
and/or Multi-Milk.

There is also a new Benebac-like product available for newborn baby animals
who did not receive colostrum.
Can someone please explain exactly what it is that makes baby ferrets so
impossible to raise?  I've never understood this.  It always seems to come
down to feeding (as opposed to housing, warmth, etc.).  Is it the method of
delivery or the formula that makes this so hard?  Or is it something
different?  Would any of the above work to successfully raise ferret kits?
If not, why?  Please inform me.  I'm trying to learn not offend.

Kim