From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 18:54:11 -0400
I say bravo to Bob!  If you can get past the business about naming MF and
not smaller breeders, and just go right to the heart of his post, IMO, he
has valid points and concerns.

The bottom line is, breeding ferrets should be treated as pet ferrets - in
fact, there is no difference - in my mind at least.

Several years ago I purchased a sweet little albino for breeding.  When she
was 1 yr old, I introduced her to my proven hobb, Duss-T.  Although he knew
what to do, she didn't take.  Two hormone injections didn't bring her out
either.  After being in season for over a month, I elected to spay her.  It
was not worth the risk to try anything further, and breeding her wasn't the
most important thing in life.  She's been a great ferret and I love her
dearly.

My breeder ferrets live in the house with me and get play time just like all
the others - they aren't treated any differently - except when Pooh Bear
comes into season, he has to 'bunk' alone for a few months, and he plays
without other ferrets for a few months - but other than that, there is no
difference.

Personally, it saddens me when small breeders have so many ferrets the
ferrets used for breeding are kept outside in a shed or barn, in cages,
without any exercise or social contact (this does not include the 15 minutes
it takes to clean out a cage and replace fresh food and water), no physical
or mental stimulation of any kind, and subject to weather extremes.

So, please, if at first you don't agree with Bob, PLEASE read his post again
and really THINK about what he wrote.

Debbie Riccio
President, WNYFLFA
Rochester, NY