From:
Anastasia Kidd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 15:01:51 EDT
Like Susan said yesterday, I wasn't going to get involved in the whole
Marshall debate.  But then, again as Susan said, the heck with it.

Obviously, I agree with Susan.  Yes, I would love for kits, and kittens and
puppies, to be kept with their mothers until 8 weeks old.  I don't even
believe the comments that the kits are cuter and sell better at 5 weeks
than at 8 weeks.  I *like* to see developing personalities.  At 5 weeks, we
refer to kits as sausages.  That's what they look like and that's about the
extent of their personalities.

That said, I also don't think it's fair to heap all the responsibility on
Marshalls.  From what a number of people have said, they are perhaps
actually trying to make changes for the better.  And yes, there are people
passing off phony MF kits.  In the meantime, some of the burden of care
should fall on the pet stores.  Most stores I've been into (And I'm not
saying ALL of them.  Heck I used to work for a couple of pet stores.  The
horror stories I can tell..!) don't give soft food to kits, and don't even
moisten the hard food.  My own Christopher was a victim of this.  When I
got him home and gave him mush, he literally waded in and sucked it down.
I also like the idea of returning unfit kits, just like they do
unacceptable puppies.  I know that Marshalls will replace or refund any kit
so it behooves the store to look them over.

A quick non-sequitor here: Christopher, who is 1.5 now, still has trouble
eating kibble.  First, he insists that it be knocked onto the floor, then
he has to turn his head all the way to the side and sometimes further and
he chews with his mouth open.  If he weren't so chubby, I'd worry he wasn't
getting enough to eat this way.

Onwards.  No one's mentioned it thus far in this round of posts, but it's
also not fair to claim that MF ferrets are more likely to develop ferret
diseases.  I think the numbers everyone points to are inaccurate.  Yes,
vets see more MF ferrets with adrenal or insulinoma, but then, you have to
realize that vets simply see more MF ferrets.  I'd hazard to say that most
casual ferret owners have MF ferrets.  Those pet store ferrets have to be
going somewhere!

Personally, I'm leaning towards the arguments of kibbled foods and
artificial light.  (I may yet give Bob C's chicken gravy a try.) If anyone
has additional information in regards to any studies, official or not, I'd
love to read them.  Bob C?  Any references?

So that's my opinions.  I'd rather this not turn into a flame war.  Of
course, I'd love to see changes made, but flames have never worked as far
as I've ever seen, either online or in real life.  Rational, professional
commentary is always welcome, by myself and others.

Take care, folks. Pats and scritches to the fuzzies.

Anastasia Kidd
alt email: [log in to unmask]