From:
Jim Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 2008 09:43:59 -0800
I just got off the phone with the lead investigator of the fire in
Lebanon that killed 13 ferrets, 2 dogs and a cat. I just wanted to
share what I've learned.

The fire occur ed in a small camper trailer that the victim was living
in, temporarily. She had just moved the trailer onto someones farm
until she found other housing.

When she noticed the fire, she was not in the trailer, but about 100
yards away. She tried to get into the trailer to get the animals out,
but the fire was too intense. The fire marshall said that those things
go up in flames VERY quickly.

By the time the fire dept. arrived, there was little they could do,
except to douse the flames. She was understandably hysterical and
crying the whole time. The Investigator said that there were space
heaters in the trailer, but they did not find any of them plugged in,
and there were no other sources of combustion in the trailer. The
official cause of the fire is being listed as "Undetermined". As was
already reported, 13 ferrets died, (personal and "rescues") along with
her 2 dogs and 1 cat.

The person involved, has a website representing herself as a "rescue",
and while I do not approve of the conditions that the animals were
living in, (as was reported to us prior to the fire) my heart goes out
to her for her loss.

I'm not sure if she is on or reads the FML, but I would offer her any
help that we could give, all she needs to do is ask.

Jim Kennedy, Director
Ferret Rescue of Maine
A State licensed, 501c3 Non-profit shelter.
Donate to shelter ferrets by clicking
igive.com/from