From:
Celtic Ferret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 10:42:56 -0400
>From:    Emily Topp <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Need quick biting ideas
>
>Any quick thoughts on the particular type of biting I'm encountering with
>our new babies?  I would like to find the emotional root first because
>then I think it's easier to figure out how to fix the problem...
>
>Looking for MOTIVATION :-)

Are you a smoker?  If so the ferrets may not like the smell adn bite at
you.  do you wear cologne/pefume or use strongly scented soapsIf so the
ferrets may not like the smell adn bite at you.

Have had the teeth checked?  Did your ferrets get a vet check when you
brought them home?  Get the teeth checked when you are at the vet.  Are
either of them showing seperation anxiety from theire former family?  Did
they come with bedding or other familiar things from their old home?

the usueal treatment for a biter is to scruff him and so no bite in a
stern voice or hiss at the ferret to put them in a small carrier and
leave them there for 30 secs to a minute

When the ferret comes out of ferret jail, give it a treat.  Don't pull
the ferret out, let it come to you.  We use only olive oil for this.
Anytime the ferret is "good" give him a treat and praise him.

Othe people advice flicking on the nose.  I don't there is too much risk
of breaking the ferret's noise.

I firmly belive in praise and use of treats to reinforce all good
behavior.

KG